Collaborative law is where attorneys from both sides of a divorce agree beforehand to work together for a favorable solution for all aspects of the divorce. This will include alimony, child custody, and property division. You and your spouse will decide on a schedule for gathering financial and other information pertinent to the divorce.
Effective collaborative divorces are grounded in trust and cooperation. Certain marital situations are not well suited to this process, while some the process is tailored for.
Cons of Collaborative Divorce
- If the matter is not resolved and litigation counsel is retained, there may be some duplication of effort as the second lawyer catches up on the case.
- Neutral experts retained during the collaborative law process may not be allowed to participate if the case does not settle. You may need to hire and pay for additional experts to complete the process.
- Should trial be necessary, trial preparation will be delayed and important evidence may be unavailable at that time.
Pros of Collaborative Divorce
- The Collaborative Divorce process preserves privacy by not airing differences in a public forum. Most settlement terms and financial disclosures can be kept from the public record.
- The Collaborative process is confidential while court proceedings are public.
- Everyone has an economic incentive to work toward a settlement – the parties, because of the high cost of litigation and the lawyers because they will be required to withdraw if settlement cannot be achieved.
Tampa Divorce Attorney
You may be thinking, “Where can I find a divorce lawyer near me?” Anton Garcia Law’s family law attorneys are compassionate, experienced and dedicated to representing your best interests. Contact us today! Serving the following Florida areas:
- Tampa, St Petersburg
- Land O’ Lakes
- Plant City
- Downtown Tampa
- … and more!
If you are looking for a Tampa family law attorney, look to Anton Garcia Law, a 2021 SuperLawyer “Best Attorney” award winner. Our office is located near beautiful downtown Tampa, where we proudly serve clients from around the state of Florida.